This web page for the Central Land Council discusses the issues of the spelling system chosen to represent the Arrernte language. Among the issues discussed are
• why not the the English spelling system
• why not a phonetic system
• the system of sounds used in Arrernte
• why different Aboriginal languages use different spelling systems
• can the current system be improved
It illustrates the issues by comparing them with the spelling systems of English and other languages.
Kelvin Nicolle, ling566